Visa Requirements

Studying in NZ

To study in New Zealand for greater than 12 weeks you will need to apply for a student visa or permit before arriving to New Zealand. This must be applied for at your nearest NZ High Commission. They will advise you of the requirements for New Zealand. Ensuring you have the appropriate Passports and Visas before leaving home is essential to a trouble free visit. You must submit a Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ1007) with your application if you intend to be in NZ for more than 12 months.

Full details of immigration requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at:

Student Visa/Permit Information

Student visa's and permits are endorsements recorded in your passport. All visitors to New Zealand must carry a passport that is valid for at least three months beyond the date you intend to leave the country. A student visa allows you to enter or reenter New Zealand. It shows that you have permission to travel to New Zealand. The visa can be issued for either one journey, or for more than one journey. A student permit allows you to study while in New Zealand. Click here for the Immigration NZ Study Visa application page.

Working while studying in NZ

It is possible to work while you study in New Zealand, however there are a maximum number hours of work permitted under visa conditions. Please refer to this link for more information:

If you do wish to work while you are studying then it is important you are aware of the minimum wages and labour conditions in New Zealand.  Please refer to this link for more information:

Visa Exemptions

You do not need a visa or permit to visit New Zealand if you are:

  • A New Zealand Resident Permit holder
  • An Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
  • An Australian resident with a current Australian resident return visa
  • If you are a citizen of a country which has a visa waiver agreement with NZ Visa Waivers (only apply to Visitor's Visa)

Visa Applications

Our country is not on the visa waiver list or you wish to stay longer than three months you will need to apply for a Student Visa if you intend to study in New Zealand. You can download an application form here. More information on visa requirements visit the New Zealand Immigration Service website, or contact your nearest New Zealand Embassy.